Wednesday, July 25, 2012

Blessed, Honored, Pioneer!


I feel like I have so much to talk about this week. So many things happened, so I'm sorry if you have to read a lot.. Haha

So last week at the Visitor's Center, the cutest older couple from Utah came through- Johnna and Dennis. They were amazing. We probably talked for a good 2 or 3 hours. Brother Dennis told me all these super neat stories about his life, and how he met his wife. And then his wife told me about her conversion story and how much the gospel has blessed her life and changed generations. It honestly was the most powerful couple of hours at the Visitor Center. The spirit was so strong, and I knew I was supposed to meet this couple. We became pretty close friends within those couple hours and just before they left they said, "We'd love to come to your wedding, whenever that may be.." Ha it was pretty funny.

Also, a couple days ago, Lee, Ashley, and Kenzie, a family Sis Stoker and I were teaching out in Platte City, came to the Visitors Center with a family from the Platte City ward and with the sisters there now. It honestly was such a tender mercy from the Lord to see all of them. I miss the people in that place like crazy! It was so neat to see how much further along this family had come. Lee stopped drinking coffee, and he's down to 1 cigarette a day. I was so impressed! He came up to me, shook my hand, and said, "Sis Conrow thank you so much for all that you and Sis Stoker did for my family. You girls really got us going." It was so cool to hear that! And then even cooler when I found out they're planning to be baptized on Aug 25th! Ah, I love the gospel! The next day, the Platte City Branch came in for a family home evening activity, so I even got to see my sweet little Beth. It was just a Platte city weekend. I was extremely grateful I got to see everyone from my old area. It made my whole week. 

So do you remember the story about my first recent convert, Tina who was supposed to be getting sealed in the temple next month? Well... the sisters in 1st ward lost contact with her and hadn't seen her at church for months. I have been heart broken, and asking the sisters everyday, "have you seen Tina yet? how is she?" And they always say no.. Well the other day, one of the sisters came up to me and said, "you'll never believe who we saw today?! TINA!" I was sooo excited to hear that.. Apparently she had been struggling with some things, but really wants to feel the spirit again in her life and come back to church, and then when she found out I was back at the Visitors Center she told the sisters she missed me so much and wanted to come visit. I was pretty excited. Well then, she called their phone, so I answered it and said, "Tina, it's sis Conrow!" and she said, "Conrow?! I miss you so much..!" I told her to come visit me and that everything would be ok.. and we hung up. About a minute later, I see their phone light up and it's Tina again.. So I answer, and Tina says in her cute little Samoan accent, "Sis Conrow I just have something I want to tell you...every time I hear your voice it makes me cry because I miss you so much.." It was so precious... she went on to say that she had written me back in April, but I never received her letter. She was shocked, and all this time she had thought that I received her letter but never wrote back, when I never had. So hopefully on Sunday she'll come into the Visitors Center so we can visit and get her family back on goal to get to the temple! I love them so much! 

Saturday, our ward had a pioneer day, and so we got permission from our mission president to be able to watch "17 Miracles." It changed my entire perspective on serving in this mission where there is so much history because of the saints. I couldn't help but feel such immense gratitude for those saints and for all the sacrifices that they made in behalf of us. How lucky we are that we didn't have to walk all those miles in such horrible weather conditions. We are so blessed in this day and age. 

Oh yes, one last story. Yesterday, at the Visitors Center 2 men walked in and they looked so nice and bright that me and the other sister I was with thought they were members of the church. Well, then they say, "well we're craddle catholics, but sure we'd like to see this presentation." Ha it totally threw me off. It ended up being the most awesome presentation.. We talked all about how the church came to be, the Book of Mormon, eternal families. It was great! The spirit was so powerful, and Andy, the older one, talked about how he had no idea that the Book of Mormon was an ancient set of records and he was pretty excited to read from it. So we're going to call him in a couple weeks to see what he thinks. Just as they were leaving, Andy said, "well I'm really happy that we just happened to walk in here today.." SO COOL!     

With time getting shorter and shorter each day, I have been thinking a lot about how I can continue to stay motivated, not just on my mission, but throughout the rest of my life. I read a talk by Elder Wirthlin called the Abundant Life that was just so great! The Abundant Life-Elder Joseph B Wirthlin  It talks all about our potential in this life. He tells a story about this older horse that didn't look like it had very much to offer, but a man saw potential in him and purchased him and then he ended up being horse of the year and winning all these jumping races. I don't know, something along those lines, but the moral of the story was, you're never too old to fulfill your potential as a son or daughter of God and that it's never too late! I loved it, and it was exactly what I needed to hear. Sometimes, as missionaries, we look at what we've done while serving and think, "Man, if only I knew then what I know now, how much further along I would be!" But, unfortunately it doesn't work that way.. the Lord teaches us line upon line, precept upon precept, and we all enter the mission field at different levels.

I love this gospel, and I feel so honored to be able to share my testimony of how I know this gospel is true with hundreds of people the come through the Visitor's Center, and with all those that we meet on the streets of Independence. Everyday, I thank my Heavenly Father for allowing me to have this opportunity to serve. There is no greater call. I love all of ya! Never forget the potential that is within each of you as a child of God. 
Love, Hermana Conrow 

P.S. Fausto is now getting baptized August 4th, for reals this time! Haha, he's still going strong!  

No comments:

Post a Comment

 

Made by Lena