Monday, February 27, 2012

Why Are We Here?


This quote describes my motivation when things are tough as a missionary. There are so many days when I'm tired or worn down and don't think I can go any longer, and then I think of this and I find myself with just a little more energy and little more will- power. I love it! Doesn't mean it's easy to do, but it's worth it.
 
"When my body begs for rest, I give to myself this rallying cry, REMEMBER HIM!" -President Henry B. Eyring
 
This past week Sister Stoker and I were blessed with many miracles! It's been awesome! We started teaching a part memeber fam- well 2. The first one is a 13 yr old girl who's mother has been less active for many years but is trying to come back. She is just the sweetest and truly wants to know how she can come closer to her Heavenly Father. Her parents were just recently divorced and is trying to get through this trial in her life. (Boy, do I know how that feels). I honestly feel like I was meant to meet her and teach her because I can relate to what she's going through, but also I can teach her how the gospel helped me to get through my trials at that age and how it helped me to gain trust in my Father in Heaven.
 
Next, we started officially teaching our cute little friend from the middle east. Ahh, we love her so much! She started reading the Book of Mormon on her own last week, and wants to learn how to pray. We talked a lot about our similarities to her beliefs and how through the Book of Mormon she will come to know and understand the divinity of Christ. It's amazing what the spirit can do. Her husband, who is middle-eastern as well, is a member of the church, but has been struggling to stay active because of the hardships he gets from his family. So we are trying to work with him as well and help him to remember why he joined in the first place so that they, together, can be a strength for good. The other night we were at their house teaching them and he was telling us how hard things are with his family, and then the spirit just overwhelmed me. I started asking him some questions and then testified of the power of the Book of Mormon and how I KNOW, without a doubt, that if he reads faithfully with his wife he will be able to stand as a witness to his family for the truth that he knows. It was awesome. Afterwards, Sister Stoker said, "I can't belive how blunt you were with him. You asked some pretty bold questions." And then I said, "I don't know where it was coming from, but it definitely wasn't me speaking!" Ah, being a missionary is the best. I love having the spirit speak through me. He knows way better than I do what God's children need. 
 
So, this week I've been thinking a lot about my purpose as a missionary. Like, why I chose to come here, and why I'm still here. I have come to realize that why I chose to come here is totally different from why I'm staying here. I chose to come here because I knew it was the right thing to do, and I knew I would gain experiences that would last an eternity. I must admit, my reasons were a little more self- motivated. As I've been praying this past week to remember and really know why I'm still here, I read this scripture that sums out exactly why I'm here and why I will keep going. It has become my most favorite scripture and I wish this was the one that was on my mission plaque. It says:
 
"For we labor diligently to write, to persuade our children, and also our brethren, to believe in Christ, and to be reconciled to God; for we know that it is by grace that we are saved, after all we can do." 2 Nephi 25:23
 
That is why I am here. That is why I am a missionary. My purpose is to serve HIM and only Him. I am here to persuade others to believe in Christ and I am here so my children will know that Jesus is the Christ and that this is His Restored Gospel on the Earth. I invite all of you to know why you are here, wherever or whatever that may be, and then act upon that. I love you all so much!
 
Love, Hermana Conrow :)
 
   

No comments:

Post a Comment

 

Made by Lena